Filing For Office
Filing for City of Lakin Mayor or Council member in Kearny County - Lakin, KS.
WHEN AND WHERE TO FILE:
The filing deadline for candidates is noon, Tuesday, January 22, 2013
for the city election. (K.S.A. 25-2109)
All candidates for City of Lakin offices may complete the following forms at the following address:
Lakin Administrative Center
121 North Main Street
Cindy Broeckelman, City Clerk
Each filing must be accompanied by a $5.00 filing fee or petition signed
by 25 qualified electors of the city or a number of electors not less than 10%
of the ballots cast at the last general city election, whichever is less.
REPORTS TO FILE:
CANDIDATES DECLARATION OF INTENTION
STATEMENT OF SUBSTANTIAL INTERESTS FOR LOCAL OFFICE
Within 10 days after the filing deadline for the office sought,
each candidate for local office must file a statement
of substantial interest. (K.S.A. 75-4302a)
Candidates who do not intend to spend an aggregate amount of $500
must file an affidavit of such intent with the county election officer by February 18, 2013.
- If less than $500 is actually expended, no report need be filed
- If more than $500 is expended, an itemized campaign finance statement
must be filed with the county election officer within 30 days
of the primary or general election. (K.S.A. 25-904)
FILING DEADLINE................JANUARY 22, 2013
PRIMARY ELECTION..............FEBRUARY 26, 2013
- The primary is held on Tuesday five weeks prior to the general election.
- If there are three positions open, the six top vote-getters
move on the general election.
- No primary is held if there are six or fewer candidates for the office.
- Write-in candidates are not allowed in the primary.
GENERAL ELECTION.................................APRIL 2, 2013
City general elections are held the first Tuesday in April in odd-numbered years.
CANVASS..................................................APRIL 8, 2013
- The Kearny County Commissioners
canvass the vote on the Friday following the election.
- The county election official then submits a
certification of the election to the Lakin Governing.
City officials must be sworn in at the first regular meeting
of the governing body following certification of the election results.
OATH OF OFFICE:
An oath of office must be taken and signed by elected officials.
The City Clerk will maintain a copy of these oath